The effects of female genital mutilations are more dangerous than the benefits it is believed to have in societies. Female Genital Mutilations comprises all procedures involving the removal of the external female genitalia or other injury to the female genital organs for non-medical reasons.
Most stories and history of female genital mutilations or female circumcision started as a result of putting the woman under submission, telling a girl that her sexual urges are wrong.
There are four (4) main types of Female Genital Mutilations (FGM):
• Type 1/ Clitoridectomy: removing the clitoris.
• Type 2/ Excision: cutting the clitoris and inner labia alone or with the labia majora (the larger outer lips)
• Type 3/ Infibulation: narrowing or sealing the vagina, a small opening is left for urine and menstrual blood.
• Type 4: any harmful procedures performed on the female genitals like pricking, piercing, scraping and burning.
Female Genital Mutilations (FGM) has no health benefits. In fact, it causes harm to girls and women in many ways.
Immediate complications of female genital mutilations can include:
• Severe pain
• Excessive bleeding
• Genital tissue swelling
• Infections e.g., tetanus
• Urinary problems
• Wound healing problems
• Injury to surrounding genital tissue
Long-term complications of female genital mutilations can include:
• Painful urination, urinary tract infections);
• Vaginal problems (discharge, itching, bacterial vaginosis, and other infections);
• Menstrual problems (painful menstruation, difficulty in passing menstrual blood, etc.);
• Scar tissue and keloid;
• Sexual problems (pain during intercourse, decreased satisfaction, etc.);
• Increased risk of childbirth complications (difficult delivery, excessive bleeding, etc.)
• Need for later surgeries. For example, the sealing or narrowing of the vaginal opening (Type 3) may lead to cutting open the sealed vagina later to allow for sexual intercourse and childbirth (deinfibulation).
• Psychological problems (depression, anxiety, post-traumatic stress disorder, low self-esteem, etc.)
If you, your spouse, family or friend is a victim of female genital mutilations and need help or just somebody to talk to through the healing, you can use the CONSULT A DOCTOR platform.
Do you want to learn more about Female genital mutilations and how it affects our society? Click here
We can fight this with a combined effort of education and awareness. The woman’s right to sexuality should be cried out from rooftops. Start by sharing information about the dangers of Female Genital Mutilations, some people still practice it because they do not know any better.
The effects of female genital mutilations and the stigma surrounding it, results to victims are not telling their stories. But how do we save other little girls if we do not use our voices even if it hurts? Do not forget: “Making an Impact, is the reason for living”
Love and Light